Saturday, August 10, 2013

KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMANI (chapter 1 completed)

"Bryan, I know it is a very difficult decision to make. A man like you will not have balls big enough to make a decision like that. So why don't I make it for you?" I took a deep breath. " You both stay away from me for the rest of my life! In case you are too dim to understand,Bryan...the wedding is off!" Then I turned on my heel.

"But... I already spent a fortune on that damn wedding!" Bryan said angrily.

I turned around so I can face him. "Well then, I will send you all your receipts!". And I stormed out of the room.

I went home immediately and gathered my clothes and stuff that fit into one suitcase. I didn't have anywhere to go at the moment. I was too embarrassed. They already didn't like bryan that much because they thought he was self-centered and egoistic. I defended bryan saying at least he was faithful to me... And now this.

Before I could even have second thoughts about leaving Geena's apartment, I went to the person who knew what was happening before I knew it myself. And I sincerely hoped that person considered me as family after all these years.

Adam never liked Bryan. He always told me that my boyfriend was up to no good. Or that he only thought of himself and would make me cry.

When he was suspecting that things were happening between Bryan and Geena, he would say things to me like:

"You are so naïve, Ash!"

"Open your eyes sometimes and stop trusting too much!"

"Sometimes, the people you trust the most, Ash, are the ones who betray you the deepest. Look around you, you might just understand what I'm saying".

So when I came to him that night, I didn't have to explain anything. He saw that my eyes were swollen and that I was carrying a suitcase with me. Without a word, he opened the door wider and let me in.

"How long have you known?" I asked him.

"Does it matter how long I've known?" He asked back. Although, he sat beside me on the couch, he offered no arm or shoulder for me to cry on. Adam is not a touchy person. But it meant a lot to me that he made me feel that he was there.

"How could they do this to me?"

He sighed "the most important thing is, what are you going to do about it?"

"She's pregnant" I said.

For a while, Adam was silent. I could tell he was brewing all his anger inside him. Then he said "I suppose I should beat the hell out of Bryan for getting Geena pregnant, but right now, I want to give him a shiner more for what he did to you".

I stared up at him, he smiled, which is something he rarely does. "You grew up with me Ash. You too are like a sister to me. Believe it or not". He chuckled humourlessly. "Now what happened to Geena, she's an adult now, she should know that her actions have consequences. I can't beat up Bryan if Geena participated in the act willingly. But you on the other hand...it was not fair what they did to you."

Adam took me in, but it had always been on a temporary basis. He's a little of a woman-hater...I think. A woman's presence in his luxurious bachelor's flat will kill him little by little.

But I was glad he allowed me to stay with him till I got get my act together. I intended to get my own apartment. If only the rest of my friends were rich enough to rent a two bedroom flat, I could crash with one of them. But until then, I'm the parasite living in Adam's guest bedroom.

"Are you okay?" Adam asked giving me another gentle shake.

I nodded.

"You were in all afternoon?, aren't you supposed to be working?" He asked.

"Not anymore" I shook my head.

He raised a brow " your boss sacked you?"

I sighed and then nodded. "Apparently, I'm no longer recommended to stand within ten feet of people that are getting married".

"I can't say I blame your boss". He said. "You made this breakup the centre of your universe,Ash. You have to stop this. You have to pull yourself together. Dwelling on what would have been will only make you twice the loser".

"I'm not a loser"

"Whatever" he rolled his eyes at me. "But it looks like that from where I'm standing. No job, no house and no boyfriend".

"Right. Remind me to look for an apartment as soon as I can stand up"

"As soon as you get a job, you mean". He said.

"Yes, that too".

He sighed "it's no secret that I want this apartment to myself, but right now, Ash, I'm the only one you have. I don't have a choice. I can't disown you. But I hate to see you deteriorating everyday. A week of moping is fine. It's been almost a month a month now. You are in worse condition than you were the day you showed up at my doorstep".

"I...I don't know what to do , Adam" I confessed.

"Yes, you do. Go out with your friends. Party all night. You can sleep around if you want to. Even I won't judge you". He said. "Just get out of bed and stop moping".

"I'm not moping!".

He snorted." You don't convince me".

I rolled my eyes and laid back on the bed.

"By the way, your mother called. She asked if I've seen you. When was the last time you talked to her? She was very concerned".

"Last week. Took her a long time to call you."

"Honestly, I'm the last person in our family they would expect you to run to." He said rising from the bed and heading towards the door.

"Adam..." I called.

He turned back to me.

How's...Geena? Bryan was asking her to get rid of the baby. Did...did they go for it?"

He raised a brow "why do you want to know? They can go to hell for you care. Don't ask again! Because if Bryan is on his knees begging for forgiveness, I will be the last person on earth to tell him where you are".

"Is he asking for my forgiveness?"

He sighed in frustration "the only reason he would do that is because he wants back the sixty grand he spent on your wedding preparations". With his last barb cutting through me, he strode out of the room.
Adam can be ruthless and careless with my feelings, but somehow I appreciate it that he doesn't lead me on or tell me lies to make me feel better. I can always count on him for the brutal truth. Maybe that's why I ran to him when I found out about Bryan's affair. Because I felt I had been surrounded by lies for too long and for once, I wanted the truth. No matter how painful it can be!

**********************************
Whew! This is the first chapter... I hope you guys really liked it and if you did not, comment on why you did not like it! I did not write the story though. I will upload the second chapter very soon... Mwah!